Apple Dave's father and mother, Donald and Dorothy Hull, purchased 112 acres of land in the Warwick Valley in 1949. Beginning in 1950 David began planting apple trees on the property. The first trees planted can still be found today right behind Applewood Orchards Kitchen. The trees began to produce fruit in 1955 and David dedicated himself to the Orchard when he returned from a Army-sponsored tour of Korea.
The Orchard continued to grow through the years and somewhere along the way David became affectionately known as "Apple Dave". Apple Dave and his family lived and worked on the farm selling the apples to wholesalers through out the year. However, in 1974, tragedy struck. Apple Dave's storage facility burnt to the ground with that year's apple harvest.
That summer with a fresh crop coming along Apple Dave thought of ways to avoid another catastrophe. The winning idea was to allow people from the area up to the farm to Pick their Own Apples. Just like that Applewood entered a new era. In the fall of 1975 Apple Dave and Cousin Mike began Applewood's U-Pick business. Cousin Mike would sell cups of cider to the patrons and Apple Dave would give wagon rides up into the orchard. The new business went well and has continued to grow.