Ashcombe Vegetable Farm was started in 1956 as a wholesale vegetable farm principally growing blueberries, asparagus, strawberries, sweet corn and other vegetables. About 1961 a small roadside stand was set up to sell vegetables grown on the farm.
In a year or so, several small greenhouses were added to grow spring bedding plants. From this small beginning of 25 acres of vegetables and two or three greenhouses, the present business emerged. Glenn and Mary Ellen Gross were the founders of the organization, renting the land from Mr. Henry Thornton, owner of Ashcombe Farms.
For a number of years, the Grosses worked with one or two helpers, plus seasonal workers, to plant the flowers and vegetables, trim blueberries, harvest asparagus and do the many chores that such an operation requires.Over the years, the vegetable farm doubled in size and fruits and vegetables were purchased from outside sources t at the constantly changing roadside market. Major expansion occurred between 1970 and 1978. A fire destroyed a number of buildings in 1974. The rebuilding of the produce department took place in 1975 and a fire protection (warning) system was installed.