Construction of the main house, "Mountain View", began in the mid 1700's as a one room, two and a half story structure. The property was part of the 1733 Charles Burgess land grant. The first lease was granted to William Marshall, uncle of Chief Justice John Marshall, in 1765. In compliance with the lease agreement, the first 100 apple trees were planted on the site.
In August of 1812, Dr. Robert Stribling came to the area, known at that time as Farrowsville, to establish his practice. In 1819 he purchased the home and the surrounding 93 acres, which included the orchard. Over the years more land was purchased and the original structure underwent several additions.
The stone buildings adjacent to the main house included the Olde Kitchen, where all the family meals were prepared, the Smoke House which was used for smoking hams and storage of meats, and the Dairy where butter, cheeses, and other milk products were processed and stored. The log building was one of several used as quarters for the family servants.
These buildings are still used by the family household and are not open to the general public at this time.
In 1850 the construction of the railroad through Farrowsville disrupted the community tranquility and forced Dr. Robert Stribling to relocate his medical practice from the village to Mountain View. He built a frame building and used the first floor as a medical office that served the area through the early 1900's. The upper floor hosted the Masonic Lodge until the turn of the century.
During the Civil War, both the Union and Confederate armies used the railroad and parallel road. As troop movements intensified through Manassas Gap to the fighting in Northern Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley, Mountain View was repeatedly used as officer's quarters by both sides.
Because of its proximity to the railroad, the farm's market for apples grew during the early 1900's. For years apples were picked, graded, and packed for shipment at an on-site packinghouse, many for export to Europe. The world market after WWII in conjunction with the rise of large corporate fruit production made exportation less economical. By 1950 the commercial market was highly competitive and the Striblings started the pick-your-own sales.
Stribling Orchard is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media